Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Writing Construction

Looking back at how I learned to write, I remember doing lots of handwriting and grammar worksheets. I did enjoy doing the worksheets because I was good at it and handwritting didn't require any thinking. My favorite most of all was free writing because it gave me the chance to express myself (I never spoke in class because I was so shy). One thing I did struggle with was vocabulary and comprehension. I could read anything you put in front of me but if you asked me about what a word meant or to summarize the story, it would result in "a deer in the headlight" look. I still believe that my vocabulary isn't as strong as it should be. If there were more strategies used back then (instead of just memorizing), maybe my vocabulary knowledge would be better than what it is now. I cannot wait to use the strategies that I have learned in undergrad and apply to my future students. They are much more engaging and more benefitial to students with different needs.

1 comment:

  1. Emily-

    What strategies have you used to successfully increase vocabulary?

    Thanks!

    Carli DeBaere

    ReplyDelete