Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sheltered Lesson

I thought this clip was more of a lecture than a sheltered lesson. The teacher did provide some sheltering aspects but I do not think it was enough, especially for ELL students. I did like the PLAN, DO, STUDY, ACT graphic organizer posted on the board. She kept going back to this to remind them of what they will be learning throughout the week. When describing the word "grievences," she defined it, gave an example that can relate to the students, and then related it to the topic they were studying. This was a good verbal explanation, but there was no visual. She should have had the students fill out a graphic organizer to help them define and comprehend the word since this was a crucial vocabulary word to know. She did ask about the students' background of knowledge of the Declaration of Independence which was good, but I think she could have done it in a more effective way. Students could do a think-pair-share about what they know about the Declaration of Independence or just have them quickly jot down what they remember about it. If questions are used, there needs to be more wait time. When I think of a sheltered lesson, I see more visuals and more engagement. I feel like this lesson did not provide much of that.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you. This lesson was more of a lecture. I saw the potential of how many visual and graphic organizers could be implemented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think pair share is a great idea to incorporate in this lesson. Sometimes teachers need to add it to a lesson on a whim because they notice the students becoming unengaged. I am curious as to what kind of written notes or materials the students already have on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using think pair share in my classroom. Like Nick said, it is a great way to engage students. I also like your idea of having the students fill out a graphic organizer on the topic. The visuals were not good but cold have been great!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete